Our Foundation

History

On January 10, 1928, Rt. Rev.Msgr. Edmund Dunne, MHM (Prefect Apostolic of Sarawak from 1879 to 1933), movitavated by a vision that local girls could also play caring roles and contribute to the growth and work of the church, authorized the institution of the local sisterhood, ``Little Sisters of St Francis of Sarawak'', with the objective to engage themselves to follow the rule of the Third Order of St Francis as laid down in the ``Motu Proprio'' of our Holy Father Pius XI.

Historical archive image

Milestones

1926

The Sacred Congregation of Propaganda Fide had already approved the canonical erection of the congregation in 1926, with the hierarchy entrusting the responsibility of training and directing the pioneer local Sisters to the Franciscan Missionaries of St Joseph (FMSJ), the then partners of the Mill Hill.

1955

The Holy See granted the congregation full autonomy in 1955 and at its first General Chapter held on 30th December the same year, Mother Rita Smith was elected Superior General. She led the congregation till 1970. She was succeeded by mother Teresa Sim. At their first Renewal Chapter in December 1971, the congregation's name was officially changed to ''Sisters of St Francis of Sarawak'' SSFS, signifying an indigenous identity.

Historical photo 1 Historical photo 2 Historical photo 3